I’ve been rambling on about writing on Medium, making money on Medium, and all the excellent tips & tricks to grow on Medium. But sometimes I forget that some people don’t know Medium at all.
Today, I’ll give you a brief introduction to Medium.com.
Medium.com is a popular online publishing platform that allows writers to share their content and ideas with a wider audience. It was founded in 2012 by Evan Williams, who is also one of the co-founders of Twitter.
Ev, as he’s called throughout his online presence, stepped down as CEO last year and handed over the scepter to long-time Medium user, publications owner, and friend, Tony Stubblebine.
What does Medium offer writers?
Medium.com offers a range of features that can benefit online writers & bloggers, such as:
- Exposure: Medium.com has a large and diverse user base, which means that your content can potentially reach a wider audience than it would on your personal blog or website. With a high domain authority score, it’s also a premiere destination for search engine traffic.
- Customization: Medium.com allows you to create a custom profile in minutes, which can include your bio, photo, and links to your social media accounts. This can help you establish your brand and build your online presence, without the hassle of building a website, learning to code, or paying for popular blogging tools like WordPress and Ghost or no-code platforms like Webflow or Framer.
- Collaboration: Medium allows you to collaborate with other writers and, in particular, publications. Each blog or story you write can be submitted to publications and published with them if they accept the draft. This can help you build relationships with writers, editors, and publication owners, and exponentially expand your reach.
- Analytics: Medium provides simple analytics tools that can help you track the performance of your content, like views, reads, reading time, and more. This might help you identify which topics and formats resonate with your audience.
- Monetization: Finally, Medium offers a Partner Program that allows writers to earn money based on the engagement their content receives. This can be a great way to monetize your writing and make a living as a writer without relying on ads, sponsored content, or other third-party content.
The bottom line
Overall, Medium.com is a powerful platform that can benefit online writers by providing them with exposure, customization, collaboration, analytics, and monetization opportunities for free.
The optional Medium membership* allows you to read unlimited content on Medium, and support fellow writers by doing so.
Every blogger should (re-)publish their content on Medium in 2023. I wrote a detailed article about that here. In the worst-case scenario, you get a few views and little engagement for free. In the best case, you’ll build a sizable audience, grow your fan base, and earn 3 or 4 figures per month doing so.
You see, you have nothing to lose, but a lot to gain from Medium.com.